Personal Protective Equipment
When it comes to SERVPRO of Greater Smithtown, our number one concern is safety: the safety of our clients and the safety of our employees.
To make sure the job is done right, employees need to take proper precautions when working in specific situations. Each job comes with its own safety concerns. For example, flood waters can come with contaminants from things like sewage; mold remediation jobs come with possible irritants to people’s eyes, skin and lungs; fire damage can come with worries like smoke inhalation and possible falling debris; and biohazard incidents can come with exposure to dangerous chemicals and bodily fluids.
SERVPRO teams are given the proper training and personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure they are prepared to safely handle each one of those incidents and a wide range of others. They follow specific guidelines laid out by our company and by the National Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Some of that PPE includes the following:
- Tyvek Suits and Booties: which are made of a strong, but lightweight material that can protect a person from contaminants in the air. These suits cover a person from head to toe (except the face).
- Dust Masks: which are lightweight masks worn around the nose and mouth to keep out less serious contaminants like typical, household dust.
- Full Face Masks: which are more heavy-duty, plastic masks, seal off the entire face and include respirators. These are used in more dangerous conditions. The respirators filter out any harmful airborne pathogens and mold spores.
- Gloves: different kinds of gloves are used depending on the situation. Nitrile gloves are used to protect from certain contaminants like bodily fluids. Whereas, stronger rubber gloves are used to protect when handling sharp or rough objects.
- Goggles: are used to protect the eyes in dangerous conditions.
- Hard Hats: are used to protect employees in situations where there is a risk of building collapse or falling debris.
By ensuring their own safety in the field, our team members are better able to ensure your safety and the safety of your home or business.
Remember, if you experience an incident that requires restoration work, you can count on SERVPRO of Greater Smithtown to get the job done in the SAFEST and most efficient way. Call us any time at 631-265-9200.