Top Do's and Don'ts After a Fire
These tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Greater Smithtown technicians arrive. Follow these Do's and Don'ts to help reduce the damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit Movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO.
- Do not attempt to clean electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!