The Threat of Smithtown Mold Damage on Structures
SERVPRO Remediates Mold Damage to Protect Property
Homeowners must appreciate the impact of mold on their properties. Because of the proximity of our communities to major water bodies on Long Island’s North Shore, several homes contend with groundwater concerns and higher humidity. Without appropriate moisture content management and ventilation, the result can be the formation of mold colonies. Our SERVPRO AMRT-Certified technicians are trained to help with:
- Moisture removal
- Surface cleaning
- Odor removal
- Structural repairs
- Mold inhibition
Responding fast is one of the best defenses against Smithtown mold damage. We understand the importance of a quick arrival window as mold colonies continue to spread through the structure and new hosting materials until containment is established and remediation work begins.
How Does Mold Damage Threaten a Home?
With more than 120,000 in Smithtown and a substantially larger population through Suffolk County, many homes and businesses could get impacted by mold and microbial damage. There are a few ways that active colonies can destroy your home or make comfortable living impossible:
- Structural Deterioration – Mold uses organic matter as a food source, destroying hosting elements the longer they stay exposed to the organism. After as little as 24 hours, materials like drywall often require demolition.
- Moisture Damage – The same conditions that allowed mold growth initially can also be detrimental and destructive to the property.
- Volatile Organic Compounds – VOCs are a byproduct of colonies, and their presence can directly impact living conditions. Widespread VOCs overwhelm a property with harsh, offensive malodors.
How Does Mold Get Discovered?
As destructive and harmful to property as mold damage can be, it is surprising that finding the colonies can often seem elusive. Mold often forms in darker, moist environments, so these typically do not describe the high-traffic areas of your household. There are signs to alert you to possible mold growth, and these include:
- Odors – Volatile organic compounds produce strong, musty smells from active colonies, which can penetrate nearby areas and signal mold trouble.
- Structural Damage – The deterioration of building materials like drywall is a strong indicator that some type of damage exists, be it water or mold.
- Spotting – Physical spotting on surfaces can show the earliest colonization of hosting materials. These can be any color: black, blue, orange, green, and others.
Removing Mold Damage
There are multiple approaches to removing mold and microbial growth from a property. The factors that determine the ideal solution range from the type of hosting material to the severity of the infestation. The degree to which microbes have penetrated an impacted building material also determines what methods are best for removal, including:
- Antimicrobial products
- Mechanical action
- Abrasive cleaning
Fast Damage Repairs
With a general contractor license (#51995-H) and IICRC AMRT-Certifications, we have the training and accreditation to complete a wealth of building services your property might need. After mold exposures, controlled demolition is often a significant factor in the approach to restore the property and prevent the spread of spores and colonies. Our team can also replace discarded materials, repair structural compromise that permits moisture infiltration, and repair damaged utilities like plumbing that could contribute to the moist environment.
Smithtown mold damage impacts many surfaces, contents, and materials throughout an affected property. Remediation professionals need to act fast to help. With a roster of accredited AMRT-Certified professionals, our SERVPRO of Greater Smithtown team is ready to mitigate loss and repair the damage that mold can do to a house. Give us a call today at (631) 265-9200.